2013년 6월 11일 화요일

Journal #3

Highlight anything that you have learned through this course and discuss why this is meaningful for your learning and instruction?

Of all the chapters I have learned through this course, I would like to highlight Chapter 7: Extensive Reading. There are two reasons for my selection. First of all, extensive reading was a concept that was unclear to me before I encountered it in this course. I was able to acquire an understanding of extensive reading and the strengths and weaknesses. Secondly, extensive reading is reading that is unfamiliar in the classroom. Teachers should have knowledge about extensive reading and should be able to apply it in the classroom setting.

Likewise, chapter 7 is meaningful for my learning because it gave me an in depth understanding of extensive reading. Also, it is meaningful for my instruction because it provided me with the steps for an extensive reading program and the important factors that need to be kept in mind.

First of all, I learned that extensive reading fits into the meaning-focused input and fluency development strands of a course. I was able to make a connection between extensive reading, meaning and fluency. Also I was able to remind myself that reading is a source of enjoyment and that it can be a goal in its own right. I realized that extensive is a very reader centered activity. I was able to learn new information about extensive learning and reconstruct the background information I had with the new information.

Secondly, this chapter provided a set of guidelines for planning and extensive reading program. Some of the guidelines include ‘understand the goals and limitations of extensive reading, find your learners’ present vocabulary level, provide plenty of interesting and appropriate reading texts, set, encourage and monitor large quantities of extensive reading and support and supplement extensive reading with language focused learning and fluency development.’ At first I did not have a good understanding of extensive reading. If I were to instruct extensive reading in my classroom I would not have been able to. However, with these guidelines I think I will be able to instruct effectively. The guidelines will the basis for my reading instruction in the future.

댓글 1개:

  1. Dear Grace

    I am pleasantly surprised to see that many of you mention ER as the most impressive learning in this class. I regret that I did not highligh ER more. Please keep in mind what you learned when you are in the classroom.

    답글삭제